[SunRescue] Making Sun bootable CD's under Solaris 2.6

Mike Hebel druaga at pmail.net
Tue Apr 11 09:25:01 CDT 2000

>>"El Torito" is a PeeCee standard, so I'm pretty sure that's not what you
>>want (unless you were making a PeeCee bootable CD; how it works is it
>>finds the boot image on the CD and maps it to the A: drive with some
>>BIOS mirrors and black thread). My guess is that you need to find some way
>>to make it look like a hard disk partition or some such thing (or maybe it
>>can just boot from the standard CD, without that PC type Black Magic...),
>>but I'm not sure since I've never done it on a Sparc before.  Afraid
>>that's not too much help though...

Thanks anyway.  It seems to me that I either have to have an existing NetBSD
system with the mksunbootcd and the mkhybrid packages installed and follow
the instructions on the NetBSD bootable CD FAQ or burn one off of the
downloaded .iso images off of the net.  There just don't seem to be any
instructions for Solaris.  I can create a .iso image but can not find
anything like the mksunbootcd package that NetBSD has to make the .iso Sparc
bootable. (I did find the package source but it seems it won't make on my
Solaris box.) :-(

Anyway *sigh* I'm downloading the .iso images over a 56K frame at work.
It's already taken one night and will probably take most of today.

Sincerely,

Mike Hebel

Rescue maillist  -  Rescue at sunhelp.org