[SunRescue] Good SPARCstation 10?

Ken Hansen n2vip at impop.bellatlantic.net
Tue Apr 11 07:11:54 CDT 2000

By buying into an SS10 you are getting some nice upgrade options, but unless you
have a well-stocked parts bin, you will have to spend some real money to get a
"good" system.

RAM for an SS10 is about $15/16 Meg SIMMs, $75-$100/64 Meg SIMMs -
you can put up to 128 Meg of RAM in an SS10 using "low-density" 16 Meg
SIMMs.

CPUs can get quite expensive as well - my SS10 is running 2x66 Mhz
HyperSPARCs that I got for about $25-30/each, but that was a rare deal.

And since you'll want video you will need to get a framebuffer, and that is a few
dollars (depends on model, a CG6 is a good compromise for $30-50 IIRC).

Low-end SS4/SS5 workstations can be very effective little web servers for
low-demand applications, and if you get one with the drive sleds you can
take advantage of low-cost SCA drives.

Look into the vendors on sunhelp.org, there are some special deals for various
SPARCstations that could be useful.

I really like my SS10, but I got most of it's pieces as cast-off parts from my
former employer.

HTH,

Ken
n2vip at bellatlantic.net