[SunRescue] HP 9000/715 question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Apr 10 19:04:54 CDT 2000

This port on the back of the system that LOOKS at first glance like a HP-IL
port (and has two dots as a logo underneath it), WTF is it?  A HP-IL keyboard
cable (with two matching dots) wont plug in.

Anyway, took the H20 in this afternoon around 2:30, and at 5:30 I picked up
a 9000-715/80, with two 2gig HDs, 24bit color framebuffer (yeah!), was
supposed to have 96mb RAM, but I got it home and it has 128. 8-)  With four
slots still open, too...  They also threw in a nice A2094 monitor with
"nasty case discoloration" - hell, like I care about case discoloration, the
picture is GREAT. 8-)

Right now, tho, all I can do is sit and watch the monitor bitch about
"could not initialize keyboard, system halted".

I've got the 9000/720 in the other room.  However, the drives for that system
are three 1.5gig FH 5.25" drives in an external tower, and they're differential
SCSI.  One problem is - the system has a differential controller (with a HD50
SCSI connector), the drive tower has a "Centronics 50"-style SCSI connector,
and the drives are differential scsi.  The problem is that the system also
has a normal SCSI (narrow) CD-ROM drive, with HD50 narrow on the computer
and centronics 50 on the CD-ROM.  I only have ONE cable that has HD50 on
one end and C50 on the other, and I dont want to blow up the system by using
it for the wrong thing... If there's a way I can verify that the cable i've
got is for the differential drives, I *have* a normal narrow scsi cable with
HD50 on one end and C50 on the other...

Or are the cables the same for narrow single-ended SCSI and for narrow
differential SCSI?  IF so, at least I can get the 720 booted tonight.

Thanks.

Bill

--
|   Bill Bradford    |   Austin, Texas   |