[SunRescue] Help IDing a CPU module

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Apr 7 22:18:38 CDT 2000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Anybody wanna swap me some 4mb 30pin parity SIMMs for a pair of SM51s?
> I've got a pair of 4/6x0MP motherboards here (both with two SM100s each)
> that are in need of RAM.. I've got a 4/630 and a 4/670 chassis for them
> to go in, just need RAM...

Here's another idea: why not keep the SM51's for your 4/600 boards and
sell the SM100's?  A single SM51 in each box will be roughly the same
speed at all four CPU's with a pair of SM100's, and will be 4x faster for
single-threaded apps.  There seem to be plenty of idiots^H^H^H^H^H^H
enthusiastic buyers on Ebay who are paying absurd prices for them,
especially in pairs.  With what I've seen, a set of four could very well
land you enough money for a barebones Ultra 1 or piles of RAM.

-James