[SunRescue] Sparc Classic-Memory

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Thu Apr 6 06:44:31 CDT 2000

Heinz Rinke wrote:

> I'd like to feed my classic with some additional mem.
> I tried some 16MB-DSIMMs taken from an Intel machine,
> but obviosly it did not work. The first message in the
> Boot procedure told something about "Level 15 error"
> Where can I get the right stuff, i.e. PN 501-2059-xx?
> Can someone help me?

You don't really need genuine Sun memory, but you do need
parity. Most PCs use non-parity memory.

If you don't mind buying new memory, go to a normal memory
stockist and ask for `72 pin 60ns fastpage true parity memory'
in either 4 or 16Mb size. You need to install these in pairs
for a Classic.

You can sometimes find this sort of memory in second-hand
computer places, but parity is rare. You need to make sure
that you get true parity (some cheaper memory is effectively
non-parity with some logic to fake the parity bit).

Several people on this list often have memory for sale cheaply,
and you have the advantage of being able to ask directly for
memory that will work in a Classic. Shipping from USA to Germany
can make it quite expensive for small amounts, though.

--m