[SunRescue] Keyboard Substitute

Kurt Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Wed Apr 5 23:20:43 CDT 2000

> sends the video output to the serial port. Now unless I carry a
> laptop.
>
> which I can't generally do. Is there a way to get around this?
>

> Does any one know of a way to "trick" the unit into believing the
> keyboard

Normally I use my Palm Pilot.  Obviously, there are some limitations
- and the cable setup is somewhat bulky, but it beats carrying a
laptop around.  I don't even try to trick the workstaion into
thinking there's a keyboard attached.

I use a Palm III with Ptelnet installed, the slimline hotsync cable
(not the cradle), and a null modem adapter (because the hotsync cable
is null modem so you need to reverse that), then finally a Macintosh
(IPC and IPX use this format) to PC adapter cable.  The whole thing
is about 3 feet long and looks like something out of The Matrix, but
it works.  I understand that there's a slimline Mac cable, but I
don't know about null modem adapters for that.

One of these days I'll solder up something in one unit (or mabey
Belkin makes one), but until then I carry this around to swap meets
and whatnot.

Kurt