[SunRescue] OT: SGI again

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Tue Apr 4 01:28:24 CDT 2000

Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I was infrigued by the boxes, but what put me off was the info at one
> > of the sites listed for supporting info (r46000PC based systems do not
> > have the omph for any real video use, and these don't come with
> > cameras).
> >
> > The price is great, the value (for a general *nix box) is good, but this
> > machine appears to be one of the underpowered versions of a great
> > line of workstations.
>
>   They make great desktop machines...tiny, quiet, low power, low heat
> output...and keep in mind that the CPU is on a daughterboard...you can
> get R4400 and R5000 modules to beef them up quite a bit.  A 200MHz
> R4400 is no slouch!

Keep in mind also that there are two versions of the power supply, the
Nidek/Power General and the Sony. The latter have the wonderful
"noisekiller" feature, which keeps my bedroom in a nice quiet mood. :-)
Even my Seagate-drive doesn't concern me either. (Conner design,
probably)

Don't forget the 180MHz R5000... mmmm

	/Regards, Bjorn

(those R10000/R12000 are killers, in comparisation)