[SunRescue] Sunhelp color scheme

Tim kamakazi at tangent.stev.net
Mon Apr 3 09:54:17 CDT 2000

Innfomail at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/2/2000 7:13:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> pkhoury3 at earthlink.net writes:
>

> >  So why Sun?  Do they feel threatened or something?
> >
> Unfortunately this is due to our system of Laws. If you do not go after
> infringements to the use of your logo, name and colors you will lose all
> rights to them. US law states that you have to actively protect your name and
> logos. If you don't, then anyone can use your name and logo. That would leave
> it open to someone like Microsoft to use your name and logo for purposes that
> you might not like.
>
> Patent, Copyright and Registry laws are very complex. Lawyers and politicians
> have seen to this.
>
> Paxton

If this is the case, then I have a recommendation.  Sun should have one
of their trusty lawyers sit down and design a plan for user started Sun
related groups.  They could specifically make certain logo derivatives
usable, they could put the rules for mirroring/linking in black and
white, and they could use these groups for the dissemination of company
info.  After all there have been user groups for just about every kind
of computer out there, from Timex Sinclair, through Vic-20, C-64,
Osborne, TRS-80, KayPro, there are still tons of MUGs (Macintosh)  and
the companies have usually had a history of cooperation, if not actual
endorsement, and it hasn't hurt any company yet.  Where would the Amiga
be without it's user groups?  There is a "dead" machine from a supported
site, but the users have kept it alive, and look like they will continue
to, until the last piece gives up it's magic smoke.  Instead of telling
people what not to do, it would be a lot more productive to tell people
what to do.  Instead of "Bill, you can't use our logo" they could have
said "Bill, we reserve that logo for our stuff, here is a similar logo
we have designed for Sun friendly user sites, please use this insted"
The color thing is ridiculous, and wouldn't have even been brought up if
the legal beagles were starting from a cooperative viewpoint.  After
all, store brand soups have red and white labels, and Campbells hasn't
managed to do anything bout it, besides, how do you define a color?
Maybe instead of griping to Sun about killing a good site we should be
asking them to define what they would like in a friendly user site.

Tim