[SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] URGENT: Need bootp server for Solaris 7

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Oct 31 21:33:03 CST 1999

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 06:43:21PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Anybody know where I can get a bootp server for solaris 7?  I know dhcp
> has a BOOTP compatibility mode, but I get this when trying to edit the
> dhcptab:
> bash-2.03# dhtadm -C
> Create: failed. Error: Open error
> bill

Nevermind, got a bootpd binary from NCD's site.

I'm trying to get a NCD 19R xterminal to boot properly off my Ultra5 running
Solaris7.  I *know* it can work - it booted properly, ONCE, while I was
fiddling with my config (I walked into the other room and it had booted).
I can get it to be recognized by bootpd, get its IP address, and the name
of the file to boot ("Xncd19r"), it tries to grab that file (via TFTP),
but just sits there acking packets every 4-5 seconds.

Boot server (ultra5) is 207.8.92.215, xterminal is 207.8.92.213,
gateway is .1, etc.

Here's my /etc/bootpd:
nobody.likes.nt.workstations.org:\
        :ht=ethernet:\
        :ha=0x0000a7118007:\
        :gw=207.8.92.1:\
        :ip=207.8.92.213:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :bf=Xncd19r:\

/etc/hosts:
# Internet host table
#
127.0.0.1       localhost
207.8.92.215    leenux.mrbill.net       loghost
207.8.92.213    nobody.likes.nt.workstations.org

and the relevant section of /etc/inetd.conf:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd       in.ftpd
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.telnetd    in.telnetd
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.tftpd      in.tftpd -s
bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.bootpd     in.bootpd

I've HUPped inetd, restarted the machine, checked the config files hundreds
of times - any clue?  I wish I could get tftpd to give logging/debug output.

Any suggestions?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford   *   mrbill at mrbill.net    /   http://www.mrbill.net