[SunRescue] Looking for early sun cdrom drive for sun3+sun4 machines

Paul Pries Paul.Pries at sonera.se
Wed Nov 17 03:36:42 CST 1999

Bob,

bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu wrote:

> > > Anyone got a spare EARLY MACHINE COMPATIBLE sun cdrom of some sort?
> >
> > yeah.... I've got one of those old 2-spinners. Old, slow and ugly, but it
> > reads about anything.
> > It's a Sony  *something* from a 4/470.
>
> Well, I guess the next question is...  what would it take to abscond it
> from your cloistered gemittenfingerpokins to make my old 4/260 smile?

My clammy fingers are cramped arond it at this moment... But there are
certain things that would make them release their firm grip...

> Is it a bare drive, or in a case....  etc., etc., etc......(:+}}...
> All I really need is the bare drive.  But...., we beggar types can't
> be too choosie, at this point.

It's a bare drive.

> > > (also, if anyone ever comes up with a spare sun4 pair of sunos 4.x tapes
> > > I would be interested in those, too.  Someday.....)
> >
> > Got them too...  At least one set, probably two or three...
>
> Well, likewise on that too.  Which particular sunos release tape set?
> I much prefer booting tapes, over CD's on the old hardware.  It just
> works better in my hands.  The existing tapes I have are 4.1, but the
> first tape of the pair of mine is nuked in the usr tarball and beyond.
> I need either the tarballs of usr and beyond on the first tape of a
> 4.1 set, or a replacement 4.1 first tape or tape set, or any 4.x usable
> tape set, all for a sun4 class cpu.    I need to get the monster purring
> again.....(:+}}...  It has been sitting too long, and I would rather
> not have to convert it to a 3/xxx class machine, just to get it purring.

I think it is a 4.1.1 set. A complete set with everything, including OW.

What I need is a Sbus SCSI card, doesn't matter if it is a slow SCSI-1
or what. :)  If you happen to find one we can make a swap and I'll
tuck in a couple of other tapes with interesting SW (did I hear anyone
whisper Sybase, SunLink and FrameMaker??). :)
I'll even pay shipping...

Paul.