[SunRescue] Sony CDU-55s

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Tue Nov 16 21:58:42 CST 1999

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> The drive must be address 6 and you must boot it the the "boot cdrom"
> command.

It was already properly set to ID6, and I issued the "boot cdrom" command
at the PROM's ok prompt (both a 2.9 PROM on an LX, and a 2.2 PROM on an
SS-2).

> The "boot cdrom" command as opposed to the "boot sd(0,6,2)" command
> (or it's equivalent) issues a mode-set command to switch the drive to
> 512 byte blocks. Most Sony, almost all Toshiba, and AFIK no NEC drives
> support this command.

Thanks for that info though.

> AFIK the only way to change a Sony CD-ROM to boot with a sun that does
> not support the "boot cdrom" command is to replace the ROM in the drive.

Next question, are these ROMs easily acquirable? This is a $7 CD-ROM, I
don't want to put more money in than it's worth (it's either a
semi-portable SPARC CD-ROM or a permanent Amiga CD-ROM).

> The command was added about the time the IPC mutated into the IPX,
> the SLC mutated into the ELC, etc.

cdrom is a devalias to the device on id6. Present in the newer generation
of the PROMs. I've played with machines on both sides of this.

> YMMV, check the FAQ.

Which FAQ? I've looked quickly through the Sun CD-ROM FAQ and did not find
anything of relevance.

Thanks.

> Geoff.
>
> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson
> Tel:  (03) 6944-211  Fax: (03) 6944-225 Email: gsm at bfr.co.il

      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * Descent * SCSI
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Raiders * Galaga * SPARCstation LX
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  Star Wars * Voltron * Star Trek * Summer
--Linux/SPARC-Debian-2.1--------------!  ! ! L I N U X ! !  !-----2.2.13--