Re(2): [SunRescue] Ultrasparc CPU dismantling

Chris Kozlowski razer at ultra.darkcartel.com
Tue Nov 2 08:51:17 CST 1999

This is all true, however, if the chip is rated for a particular speed,
it essentially means that in the correct environment -- heat sink, fan,
etc -- it will be happy running at this speed and the inherent heat
it generates.  Thus, a 360 mhz processor on a 333 mhz module board
would probably run fine if it is possible to trick it into running
at 360.  Those of us from the PC world familiar with overclocking
also know how to build a mean cooling system *grin*

I'm amazed at how small the UltraSPARC itself is.  It is half the
size of an old Pentium.

Maybe as a little experiment I should take a 270, drop it into a 333
board, and run it for a while.  Is the cache on the cpu itself or on
the module board?

Now I have to go futz around with a 6500 though... *sigh*  what
a rough life I lead!

Chris