[SunRescue] What should I look for?

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri May 28 12:32:04 CDT 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, mike mangino wrote:

> I run one as my main machine and have found them to be quite quick. The
> comparison to the PC is actuall pretty far off base. If you get the
> better Ultra5, it comes with a 7200 RPM drive and 2mb of L2 cache. This
> alone makes it better than the average PC. It also only allows one drive
> per channel, so IDE is a bout as fast as scsi in this case. (You can
> always add a SCSI card ) My biggest concern is the lack of upgradability
> and scalability. To scale it at all, you need a scsi card.

Exactly.  Keep in mind, though, that while a SunSwift or other fast/wide
SCSI card will still run you several hundreds of dollars, you can pick up
PCI dual-channel UW SCSI cards for under $100 that are fully supported in
the PCI boxes.  Sure, they come with less built in, but they're a heck of
a lot cheaper to expand.

> I wouldn't complain about the PCI slots, even the UE450 uses PCI now.

Well, since the U450 was the second PCI machine (after the U30) and
predates the U5/10 this hopefully shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
:)

-James