[SunRescue] Quick IDPROM Question...

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Tue May 25 17:14:19 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:

>I've got the FAQ, done the programming several times now, but need one
>pointer real quick:  I can't recall the proper orientation for the IDPROM
>on
>an IPX board!
>
>I've got a fresh out of the wrapper IPX board that I'm installing, and no
>reference for direction of the chip.  If somebody can pop open their IPX
>and
>give me an orientation (which side of the socket does the big dot on the
>top
>of the Timekeeper chip end up on in orientation to the board), I'd
>appreciate it!
>
>Mark Henderson, if you're catching this, this would be a great thing to
>add
>to the FAQ at some point in time...

It is a standard chip.  The dot marks the pin 1 end, and on the socket one
ond has a curved depression in the end of the socket.  If I remember
correctly it is toward the outside of the MB.  This is standard for all
DIP chips and sockets.  looking at the top of the chip, with the marked
end toward your right the # 1 pin is the top right hand pin, and the chip
is numbered counter clockwise (or anti-clockwise for our UK friends) with
the highest numbered pin being the opposite pin on the same end as pin #
1.  If you can see the solder pads on the MotherBoard the # 1 solder pad
is also incated in some way, often by being the only square pad, or by
actually having a #1 printed next to it.

Tim Hauber

"Proximity to wonder has blunted our perception and appreciation of it"
--Tim Hartnell in 'Exploring ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE on your Commodore 64'