[SunRescue] 3/160 SCSI controller

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue May 25 12:19:37 CDT 1999

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Creasey, Jon wrote:

> 	Finally persuaded my 3/160 to boot last night however it refuses to
> boot of the internal scsi HD.  The Processor is in slot 1 and the
> 501-1045-05925 (scsi controller) is in slot 7 however when I got the 3/160
> the HD cable had been unplugged thus i don't know which way to connect it
> (pc style red towards power plug or otherwise)  also it tries to boot from

I don't remember either, but look for either a pair of grooves in the
connector (align them with the grooves on the cable), a small triangle on
the connector, or look on the back of the board for a square solder pad
(this should indicate pin #1).

> the network when first booted so how can I get it to boot from the hd.
> Alternatively does anyone have any references to a quick way to get it to
> netboot of either my sparc1 or my sparc4. I tried boot sd(0,X,0) x 0to6 and
> they all appeared to fail.

The pre-openboot monitor uses a different convention for booting from an
attached SCSI device (disk or tape).  The command is:

b sd(x,y,z)

Where x is the controller ID (usually zero if you have only one
controller), y is the SCSI ID you are booting from * 8 + LUN, and z is the
partition, all in hex.

Therefore, to boot off of controller #0, SCSI ID #3:

b sd(0,18,0)

as 3 * 8 = 24, in hex this is 18.  To boot a sun4 off of a CDROM on ID #6:

b sd(0,30,1)

as 6 * 8 = 48, in hex this is 30, and the normal CDROM boot partition for
a sun4 is #1.

If you have an MD21 or similar ESDI/SCSI controller then they make the
drives connected to them appear at different LUNs on the same SCSI ID.  If
the MD21 is set to SCSI ID #0 then I _think_ that a pair of drives will
show up at LUN 0 and 2.  This may be tweakable with jumpers.

-James