[SunRescue] Introductions

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri May 21 16:33:25 CDT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Matthew Haas wrote:

> While we're on to introductions...
>
> I am a Computer Science student at Corning Community College. I like to
> collect old and interesting (obsolete by many standards) hardware,
> including anything from the old Atari 8-bit stuff to whatever. I like
> learning about the various different machines out there, the history, and
> other interesting facts. I also have a habit of using this hardware for my
> personal uses.

Corning, NY?  I'm in Rochester and have a decent sized 8-bit collection
and a severe Sun fetish :)  You're not real far from me...  I've currently
got an IPX running Debian 2.1 (was running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6) and I just
got an SLC for free...

> other Unices. There is a local computer scrap yard which I visit at times,
> and I have a friend who works there that looks for stuff for me. One day
> finding this 'strange pizza box like computer'... Having known virtually
> nothing about Sun machines at the time, I noticed the Sun logo and
> immediately bought it. It turned out to be a SPARCstation 2, which I
> continue to use today as my primary machine.

You may not want to tell me... but where is this computer scrap yard? :)
I and a number of friends are interested in rescuing machines like that...
My SLC was actually going to be thrown out by someone...  *sigh*

> I put Debian Linux on my SPARC, but I would like to give some of the BSDs
> and SunOS 4.x a try. There are a lot of interesting things about the SPARC
> which sets it apart from other computers I have encountered.
>
> Having more than a passing interest in the good home of machines, I joined
> this list in hope that I could help in the harboring/distribution of
> machines. Besides that, I've found that this list has been rich with
> useful information, and that's just as valuable.
>
> Thanks for such a great list.

If you need help with sparcs or whatever... let me know... I'm more
than willing to help out...

--Kurt