[SunRescue] Introductions

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Fri May 21 13:33:20 CDT 1999

While we're on to introductions...

I am a Computer Science student at Corning Community College. I like to
collect old and interesting (obsolete by many standards) hardware,
including anything from the old Atari 8-bit stuff to whatever. I like
learning about the various different machines out there, the history, and
other interesting facts. I also have a habit of using this hardware for my
personal uses.

I have been a Linux enthusiast going on four years now. Having been
introduced to it on the x86 architecture, I soon got rid of certain
Redmond, Washington based operating systems and really got into it and
other Unices. There is a local computer scrap yard which I visit at times,
and I have a friend who works there that looks for stuff for me. One day
finding this 'strange pizza box like computer'... Having known virtually
nothing about Sun machines at the time, I noticed the Sun logo and
immediately bought it. It turned out to be a SPARCstation 2, which I
continue to use today as my primary machine.

I put Debian Linux on my SPARC, but I would like to give some of the BSDs
and SunOS 4.x a try. There are a lot of interesting things about the SPARC
which sets it apart from other computers I have encountered.

Having more than a passing interest in the good home of machines, I joined
this list in hope that I could help in the harboring/distribution of
machines. Besides that, I've found that this list has been rich with
useful information, and that's just as valuable.

Thanks for such a great list.

      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * DESCENT * 486
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Wars * SeaQuest * Voltron * Summer
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  Star Trek * WarCraft II * SPARCstation 2
--Slackware 3.6/Debian SPARC 2.1------!  ! ! L I N U X ! !  !------2.2.9--