[SunRescue] Re: RE: [SunRescue] Diskless Workstations

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Wed May 19 09:40:09 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>FWIW, the PROM memory test on my "new" LX seems happy with the 80 ns
>SIMMs
>I had left over from upgrading my IPX ... I know they won't do in "real
>life" but you can put RAM speed down as something else the memcheck won't
>detect.
>
>-Shel

That isn't necessarily a valid conclusion, memory, like processor chips,
will run at least at the speed it is labeled, but, like processors, most
memory will run faster.  In fact, I have seen simms from some
manufacturers that are labeled 70, but the chips on the simm were labeled
60.  like processors, the only way to test memory is to clock it up til it
gets flaky.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if good name brand memory
would run significantly faster than advertised, because the more reliable
companies build in a larger safety margin, so they might very well test 80
ns memory at 70, 70 at 60, etc.  On the other hand, I have seen simms from
unknown sources with different speed chips on the same simm, which, even
though they are all as fast as the overall simm rating, just doesn't sound
as reliable to me.

Tim Hauber

"Proximity to wonder has blunted our perception and appreciation of it"
--Tim Hartnell in 'Exploring ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE on your Commodore 64'