[SunRescue] Diskless Workstations

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue May 18 23:11:06 CDT 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Nick Richardson wrote:

> 1. setup_install_server -b [where you want to put the files, for  me
> /usr/export]
> 2. add_install_client -i [client ip] -e [client ethernet address] -s
> [servername:where the files are on the server] clientname machinetype

This all looks good.

> Started up the client machine and net-boot worked great for a minute or so
> until i get a watchdog reset, instruction access error. This is the same
> error I got when i tried to boot the system off a hardrive with Solaris 7.
> The question is could this be due to some dubious RAM I pulled out of a
> Macintosh. The SIMMS are 2 chip rather than 9..is this the source of the
> problem? When I pull these out I only have 4M left, so the net boot fails
> with a panic, Cannot find link in range.

The SIMMs must must must be parity (either word-wide or byte-wide, the LX
will autodetect).  2 chip SIMMs are not.  The PROM memory test doesn't
flush this problem out for you.

The SIMMs also must be 60ns or faster, many older Mac SIMMs will only be
70ns.  Only 4mb and 16mb SIMMs are "officially" supported, but 1mb and 2mb
SIMMs will work, and 32mb SIMMs will work in the first pair of slots.

RAM is fairly cheap, if you can't scrounge any up locally then I highly
recommend MemoryX (www.memoryx.com).  Going rate was $64 for a pair of
16mb sticks guaranteed to work in a Classic/LX last I checked (p/n X132R).

-James