[SunRescue] Speaking of crocks

James Lockwood james at vaneyck.Gii.Getty.EDU
Tue May 18 18:20:49 CDT 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> ... I spent about an hour on docs.sun.com today, looking for technical doco
> on my diskless workstation quest, and I came away with two impressions:
>
> (1)	That is one _slow_ site.

It's got a huge number of users hitting it.  If you have the space, I
recommend installing the documentation included with Solaris 7.  It
contains the same information with the same search facility, but will be
much faster if you're the only one using it.

> (2)	The search engine is useless.
>
> It was mega-annoying to put in "solaris bootp server setup" and wait a
> couple of minutes, only to get back 5,000 press releases containing the
> word "server" but not "bootp."  You'd think those guys could figure out how
> to give you the documents with _all_ the search words first.

RTFM.  Try searching for "solaris AND bootp AND ...".  They use a
near-vanilla Dynatext engine so the usual tricks will work.

Dynatext really isn't designed for the number of users that they have
hitting it, unfortunately.  It works fairly well for a small group, though.

-James