[SunRescue] Sun Classic

James Lockwood james at vaneyck.Gii.Getty.EDU
Tue May 18 18:17:51 CDT 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> The Classic is a late-model lunchbox, like an LX but with a little less
> oomph.

It has identical "oomph" in the CPU department.  The only differences
between the LC and LX are:

LX has cg6 framebuffer instead of cg3, expandable to 2mb for higher
resolutions.

LX has ISDN and CS4215 mmcodec (same as SS10/SS20) for stereo CD-quality
audio instead of the LC's AMD 79C30 (same chipset as the sun4c's).

> I think the Classic X was intended to be an X-terminal, probably booting
> from a bootp server on the network.  Why they put it in a lunchbox, rather
> than making it an all-in-one like the SLC/ELC, I dunno.

The Classic X does a conventional Sun rarp/tftp boot, it was a
cost-reduced design for those users who didn't need much computing power.

A color ELC-style Classic would be fun, and it probably wouldn't even be
too hard to build (grab an old GDM-16xx and cram the mb inside).  Without
a hard drive you might still be able to get away with convective cooling
only.

-James