[SunRescue] Any Sun3 freaks in the crowd using NetBSD?????

Robert D. Keys bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri May 14 16:54:44 CDT 1999

> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Robert D. Keys wrote:
>
> > doing a fine job in resurrecting all unices back to V1.  As I understand
> > it they have everything on-line (closed repository to licensees only),
> > for things back to V3 where Ritchie and Kernighan first intruduced
> > the C coding for unix.
>
> Umm.  According to Dennis Ritchie's homepage they've lost everything prior
> to v5.  I seem to recall reading that this is the reason there aren't any
> images of anything before v5 available for download from the DEC site...
>
> The PUPS FAQ seems to back this up.
>
> --Jeff

Last time I emailed Dennis, about 6 months back, I got the impression
he had paper copy of the v3 stuff and was working on getting that
back into electronic format.  I will recheck my emails.  Maybe it
never got to a point where it could go into the archives, or I
was misreading that in some way.  PUPS has v5 binaries, from the
DEC archives, but there should be other stuff there too, by now,
from early tapes.  The PUPS list has been rather quiet for a while,
so I could be mistaken.

I went digging into my emails, and he mentions a ``1972'' edition
that Warren Toomey, of PUPS got to compile.  That should be about
V2/3/4/5, if my history is correct.  Anyone have a copy of Salus
handy to verify the date/revision?  So, apparently, there is
sufficient electronic bits back that far, to get a kernel to compile.
I dunno if Warren got it to run, yet.

That Southern Julip Sippin' Bob Keys

(as opposed to that Yankee one.....(:+}}...)