[SunRescue] Re: [[SunRescue] Rescued a Sparc Classic...]

Arnach arnach at netscape.net
Fri May 14 16:20:14 CDT 1999

You say there was another Classic. When you digging around in the junkyard
again mind rescuing one of those for me?

Whatever condition I really dont care as long as I can get it to the white
screen.

Thanks,

Aaron Finley

"JDuran" <jduran at cms.dbc.com> wrote:

perspective...

> I rescued a Sparc Classic (16mb RAM, 424mb Seagate) from the boneyard at the
office, stole some RAM from another one, and now have a 64mb machine running
Red Hat 5.2.  Biggest problem was the CD-ROM drive I rescued was dead
(interface responded but it wouldn't read any CDs).  After messing around a
bit, found an internal SCSI CD-ROM drive hiding in a discarded Wintel machine
and put it in the external Sun case - it worked!  FYI, it's a Sanyo CRD-254S
"Quadruple Speed" (I guess that means 4X) drive.  The external address switch
cable didn't fit so I just set the address with jumpers before I crammed in
the drive.  So I guess those Intel boxes are good for something after all...
<hehehe>

> The 'new' machine makes a great Apache web server and Big Brother systems
monitor.  Now I need to go paw through the junkyard for another SCSI drive...