[SunRescue] Any Sun3 freaks in the crowd using NetBSD?????

Robert D. Keys bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri May 14 11:31:55 CDT 1999

> "Michael C. Vergallen" wrote:
>
> > for a 100 USD reg fee donated to the Unix preservation socity
> > you can get the old Unix code from sco

The 100 buck fee goes to SCO, I was thinking.  I did not remember
hearing it got donated to PUPS.  But, if it does, great!  They are
doing a fine job in resurrecting all unices back to V1.  As I understand
it they have everything on-line (closed repository to licensees only),
for things back to V3 where Ritchie and Kernighan first intruduced
the C coding for unix.

> Ooooh. Which version(s)?

Any BSD from 4.4 back through V1.  New sysV related stuff not included.
Any V1-V7+V32 and its nonsysV derivatives.  McKusick has BSD on a CD which
contains most all of the BSD derivatives.  The rest are off old tapes
that are in the PUPS archives, and maybe someday will be on CD.

For those interested, visit the PUPS archive or UHS archives at
http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS
                            TUHS

I gotta get me a spare 100 buckeroos and get one of those licenses
for the fun of it.

> Is that just the V6 kernel code as printed in the Lions book,
> or other versions, utilities, etc?
>
> I'd really like to see the infamous original Bourne shell code,
> for one thing. ;)
>
> > would be nice if sun initialised a similar project for their
> > ancient code.
>
> I agree that it would be nice. The problem is that SunOS was
> based on the BSD versions containing proprietary code, and
> so there would probably need to be a considerable amount of
> negotiation before this could be released.

It would be easy for everyone that has a SCO ancient unix source
license.  But, I am not sure where the code differs after Bill Joy
took it to Sun.  Memory tells me that was around BSD 4.0 or 4.1,
but I am not really sure.  Salus mentions that in is book somewhere.
After that there seem to be a lot of shared bits in sunos.

What ever happend to the original V7 port to the Sun1?

It would be neat to have a plain vanilla 4.3 BSD rolling on the
Sun3's though.  That is a nice lite system, with no frills.
Sunos is close enough, practically.

Bob