[SunRescue] sunos 3 tapes, MIT flea shopping list, sun2 keyboards

bobk bobk at sinister.com
Fri May 14 11:18:04 CDT 1999

There's a guy local here who supposedly had some 3.0 tapes, he was
supposed to drop them off...nothing happened...maybe I'll bug him again.

I have a 3/50 in the basement, waiting proper scsi cables and terminators.
Its got a tape drive that is so darned loud, and I also have a 2GB
'shoebox' for it. Digging through various junkpiles, I have found the most
ridiculous cables: sun3 to hd50, sun3 to centronics50, but no sun3 to
sun3. The MIT flea market is this weekend, so I will look there. If no
luck I will come begging on this list.

So, any other specific stuff that people are looking for? I might be able
to pick it up at the flea. Since I don't have a car, don't ask me to get
anything too heavy, and since I am in a cash crunch right now, I can't
front a lot of money. As usual, I will be scrounging around for good deals
on stuff, some of which I will probably put up on this list for sale.

If you want something that I am not familiar with, give me a good
description and the sun part number. Also, tell me the MAX you are willing
to pay for it. That doesn't mean I am not going to try to haggle with the
seller a little bit for you to try and get a deal, but I don't want to be
stuck with something heavy and expensive because you didn't want it.

And, obviously, "pick me up a sparc20, but don't spend more than $100"
type of outrageous requests will be ignored.

------

Back to the OS issue: I have been a collector of Operating Systems for a
while now. I collect whatever I can, even if I don't have the hardware to
run it on. Often I get the original media, but back it up onto my hard
drive. Sometimes I download it from the net (stuff like RSTS is freely
downloadable). Some stuff I am not sure of the legal status of, but I
really don't feel like I would get in trouble just for having it around
the house. If I were to put it up on an FTP site that might be a different
story. If people want to send me stuff, and leave it up to me to talk to
the vendors to get permission, I will do so.

That SunOS 3.x source code may become available.

----

I have two Sun2 keyboards that I have to do something useful with. I'd
really love to have a sun2, just for the novelty sake. Anyone with a stack
want to trade, a keyboard for system?

Regards,
That damned Yankee Bob Keyes