[SunRescue] Sun monitors

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon May 31 04:15:12 CDT 1999

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Bjrn Ramqvist wrote:

> My monitor, the 20D10, is capable of displaying 1152x900 and 1280x1024,
> both 66Hz and 76Hz.
> Is the 20E20 capable of higher resolutions? Mine has a remote control
> with it, but I'm not sure if the 20E20 has one. What else could justify
> the higher price for the 20E20?

The resolutions for both are comparable.  The main reason the 20E20
commands a higher price is that it can sync all the way down to 31.5KHz
VGA (the 20D10 can't go much below 55KHz) and can therefore be used as a
"plug and play" PC monitor with the right adaptor.  The 20E20 also has a
more sophisticated digital control system (with on screen display) and is
newer, both of which contribute slightly to the price.

The 20E20 is easy to recognize at a glance, it does not have the remote.
Instead, it has a row of buttons below the bezel with a pushbutton power
switch (and pair of LED's) on the right.

IMHO unless you need to sync at PC frequencies the 20D10 is a better deal.
They also seem to be a bit more reliable, possibly because the sync
circuitry is simpler.  Anyone who has a 20D10 in southern Califnornia that
they want to swap for goodies, drop me a line.

> And, to satisfy my own curiosity; what was the price for this, around
> 1995?
> (I believe these were introduced in 1995, together with the SS5 and
> SS20)

I don't remember, but it was substantial.  Somewhere around $2500 before
discounts sounds right (it was top of the line at the time).

-James