[SunRescue] What should I look for?

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at double-barrel.be
Fri May 28 07:18:31 CDT 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, mike mangino wrote:

> I run one as my main machine and have found them to be quite quick. The
>comparison to the PC is actuall pretty far off base. If you get the
>better Ultra5, it comes with a 7200 RPM drive and 2mb of L2 cache. This
>alone makes it better than the average PC. It also only allows one drive
>per channel, so IDE is a bout as fast as scsi in this case.
Mmm... not bad for ide ... I however have a genuine dislike to IDE and
never get a system with ide.
>(You can always add a SCSI card ) My biggest concern is the lack of
>upgradability and scalability. To scale it at all, you need a scsi card.
Thing is that with the SCSI added and decent (256 MB RAM) memory when I
chequed it came to about 5000 USD with a decent monitor.

> I wouldn't complain about the PCI slots, even the UE450 uses PCI now.
I've heard complaints about the E450 that it was not the fasted machine
out their...however I've personaly not been able to play with one so I
would not know.

Michael