[SunRescue] Speaking of ELC's

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri May 28 03:13:03 CDT 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999, pwz wrote:

> Anybody have any hints tips or suggestions on tweeking around with an
> old ELC to brighten the screen ?

There is a master brightness cutoff potentiometer located in series with
the "user settable" brightness knob.  Be warned, though, this is the
universal SLC/ELC failure mode (dim screen).  You may get a few more
months of life out of it but, as Pitr of User Friendly said, "You are then
havink very big paperweight with no lights.":

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/98oct/19981003.html

> Also have an old SLC I most forgot about that has white lines across the
> to 1.5 - 2 inches of the screen.  Hint tips and adjustment suggestions.
> For some reason a breaking down filter cap comes to my mind from
> somewhere long long ago but can't remember which one to poke and hope
> change out ??

Could be, also check for the flyback transformer putting out too much
voltage.  This is usually the problem if the lines are actually retrace
lines.

If all else fails, try swapping the tubes between each machine (they are
interchangable, the only difference is the coating on the front of the
ELC's tube).  This should brighten up the dim unit and you can toss the
other or keep it for parts.  For some reason, the SLC tubes seem to last
longer even though they're older.

-James