[SunRescue] 3/160 won't pass diag. test

Robert D. Keys bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue May 25 14:18:30 CDT 1999

> I don't know what I did to my 3/160 but it now gets to the
> " nxm buss error test" and then hangs. The last time I booted
> the machine I didn't wait for the full diag when I hit the "reset"
> button to see the messages again.

It is possible the eeprom has improper values in it, because it
did not fully come up on diag.  Poke zeros into eeprom locations
13 or 14 and try again.  Check the faq or the eeprom manual for
the exact location, but at around 13 or 14 it has two values,
one for the actual memory in the system and one for the amount
to check in the system.  It could be yours picked up an incorrect
amount to check, during testing, and tries to check non-existent
ram.  Pull all ram boards but the cpu board, and try that.
It should work on the 4M available on the 3/160 cpu, just fine.

I have had errors on some memory boards on particular slots in
backplanes that had corroded or slightly damaged connectors.
The machine errors out at that point, during diags.  In one case
I had a bent pin on a ram board vme connector.  In another case
it was a bad connector on the backplane, so I can never use that
particular slot in the backplane.

Bob Keys