[SunRescue] Sparc4 to Toshiba CD

Yoshiyuki Momma momma61 at cs.newpaltz.edu
Wed May 19 04:27:27 CDT 1999

jon,

you need a special scsi cable to hook up internal cd-rom drives to sparc4,
which comes with genuine suncd4. i've seen those toshiba drives sold very
cheaply but they don't come with the cable (note that sparc5&20 use the same
drive but these workstation have necessary cabling already). i have an
impression that it is hard to find it(or try spare parts from sunexpress??).

if you have a cable, things are very easy; just slide the drive in,
and connect power & scsi cables, then boot -r.

one more thing; the internal cable for cd-rom drive needs termination.

-yoshi
momma61 at cs.newpaltz.edu

> Hi,
> 	Iv'e recently obtained a sparc4 and was wondering how to go about
> fitting a 1/3rd height drive which (i think) is a sun drive anyway to it.
> Do I simply connect the internal 50pin header in the sun to the drive with a
> internal scsi cable and hook up the power or is there something more
> difficult to it.  The drive is a toshiba xm34?? (i think).  Also while i'm
> about it anyone know of a cheap source of Ultra Wide controllers that will
> fit a sparc4  it's the 68pin half pitch d type connector supporting 15
> devices.  Failing that anyone in the UK have an ultra wide controller for a
> pc they want to get rid of cheap.
>
> --
> Jon Creasey
> Intranet/Internet Administrator
> JCreasey at wakefield.gov.uk
> --

      ,-~~-.___.             Yoshiyuki Momma
     (  )         0          Graduate Student in Computer Science
      \_/-, ,----'           Math & Computer Science Dept,
         ====           //   SUNY New Paltz
       /  __/~|   /       |  E-mail: momma61 at cs.newpaltz.edu
     =(  _____| (_________|  Web   : http://www.cs.newpaltz.edu/~momma61