[SunRescue] Re: [RE: [SunRescue] Re: [[SunRescue] Redhat 6.0 SPARC on an IPX?]]

James Lockwood james at vaneyck.Gii.Getty.EDU
Tue May 18 19:19:05 CDT 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> What do you mean by that?  I'm a little confused, since most of the other
> OS's that I've seen on Sun hardware run a LOT faster than Solaris...
> 	Greg

If you're running on older hardware, especially older hardware with 64mb
or less RAM, then this can be true.  Solaris has a much larger base memory
footprint than the free Unices.  Solaris sacrifices some overall
performance in order to get better scalability and in many cases a richer
feature set.

How are you measuring "performance"?  Most of the other OS's come with
more lightweight window managers, slimmer X servers, accelerated text
consoles, and other things that appear to boost interactive performance.
This does not mean than app XYZ will run faster on them, in fact it may
well be the opposite (especially where heavy multithreading with lots of
kernel contention is a factor).

Choose the right tool for the job, as always.  None of them is faster at
everything, nor do I see that as a likely possibility in the future.

-James