[SunRescue] Re: [[SunRescue] Redhat 6.0 SPARC on an IPX?]

Robert D. Keys bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue May 18 18:06:41 CDT 1999

> So, why do you try it?
> How in the world are we supposed to know?
> We dont have your IPX.
>
> "Ted Timmons" <tedt at colubs.com> wrote:
> > Okay, so am I going to have any troubles putting RH6.0 on my little IPX?
> >
> > No responses about what operating system is "best" are necessary. I'm just
> > looking for the facts.

I run all of them, so I try not to have too much bias.

Redhat 6 runs fine on the ipx.  It is a little slow.  OpenBSD is much
faster.  Gnome and the like slows things down to a crawl on Linux.
That could be a memory issue or a coding issue.  It is not related
to swap space, etc.  Make a boot floppy, boot it and load the cdrom
via ftp from another machine (I use a freebsd x86 box for that).

If I had to make a choice, I would install OpenBSD first, NetBSD
second, Linux third, and Sunos/Solaris fourth, in that order.
Linux is OK, but slow, and has lots of nice GUI features.  The BSD's
run more spartan, and faster, on my IPX (slow 12meg ram thing with a
1 gig drive).  Both seem about equally robust for a home desktop toy.
I have not run them as servers.

For sure leave off automatic windows booting.  Snail city with it.
On the IPX, turn it on, go out for lunch, and maybe it will be on
the login screen when you get back.

Bob Keys