[SunRescue] 4/330 Problems

Mark Yankee myankee at mindspring.com
Tue May 18 14:21:55 CDT 1999

I'm having some problems with 2 Sun 4/330s that I just got.  The first one
has 8mb of ram and 2 5.25" FH hard drives with a P4 bus CG6 framebuffer.
The system starts up and the diag LEDs go through a few different steps but
stop at:

11010001

And if I boot the system up in diag mode the following is sent to serial port A:

Boot PROM Selftest.
EPROM Checksum Test.
Context Register Test.
Segment Map Write-Write-Read-Read Test.
Segment Map Address Test.
Segment Map 3-Pattern Test.
Page Map Write-Write-Read-Read Test.
Page Map Address Test.
Page Map Inverse Address Test.
Page Map Byte Address Test.
Page Map 3-Pattern Test.
Software Traps Test: levels 0x80 -> 0xff.
Interrupt Register Test.
Software Interrupts Test.
TOD Interrupt Test.
<Probing for a P4 Video Board>
Video Memory Write-Write-Read-Read Test. 32-bit - Color Plane.
Video Memory Address Test. 32-bit - Color Plane.
Video Memory 3-Pattern Test. 32-bit - Color Plane.
<Probing for Main Memory>
<Found 0x00000010 MB of Main Memory>
Memory Walking Address/Data Bit Write-Write-Read Test
 error: address=0x00800000, expected=0x00000001, observed=0xffffffff.(looping)
  Physical address:  0x00800000.
  (3U expansion memory) Expansion board #1 SIMM in Error:   U0700  U0701
U0702  U0703
  (9U expansion memory) SIMM in Error:   U1600  U1601  U1602  U1603

This system doesn't have any memory expansion boards even though there are
memory expansion board errors.

The second system has a P4 bus CG6 framebuffer but doesn't have any ram or
hard drives in it and when started up it immediatelys stops with the diag
LEDs at:

11111111

If I start it up in diag mode nothing is sent to the serial port.  Does
anyone have any ideas?  Is it time to replace the NVRAMs?

Thanks,
Mark Yankee