[SunRescue] Any Sun3 freaks in the crowd using NetBSD?????

Robert D. Keys bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri May 14 11:13:25 CDT 1999

> We have phased out most of the old Sun3 equipment at my company.  We
> had SunOS 3.5 running on Sun3/60 and 3/260 systems controlling some
> equipment.

Neat!  Tell us a bit more of what they are doing, if you may.
Running real-time apps or just logging data?

> We still have a few of these running, and the current
> Y2K fix for them is to set the date back 28 years!

I was planning to do that, but I have heard it makes date stamps wierd.
For most of us running home toyz, that probably makes no real difference.
A reinstall as of the 1990 date on the sunos 4.1.1 release or the
whatever date on the 3.5 release would allow more years than I will
probably have to play on the beasties.

> I do still have a couple sets of the 68010 and 68020 SunOS 3.5 install
> tapes. If the archive needs them, I could check into seeing if they
> are free to be released like this and maybe I could upload images of
> the tapes to the archive.  Anyone know what the legalities of uploading
> this would be?

Make backups NOW, before any info is lost from the tapes.  Use a
reverse dd script patterened after the maketape script in Heiko's
archives.  Hopefully, the tapes are still fully readable.

Check with Heiko Krupp to see about their inclusion

        krupp at unix-ag.uni-kl.de

and see what he did.  Perhaps someone at the US SunMS who is also on
the list should look into this?????  The precedent has already bin
set, and permission has already been granted by someone in the know.
It just needs to be ascertained what exactly can be added to fill out
the archives?????  As I understand it, Heiko is looking for more sun3
things to fill it out, last time I emailed him a month or two back.

It is a fine and philanthropic thing to do, and maybe worth a few
kudos de prsmanship for Sun if they will do that for other orphan
things, too.

Just musing out loud, wistfully, again.....

Bob Keys