[SunRescue] PC power supply on IPC?

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri Jun 18 22:54:00 CDT 1999

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, bobk wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has looked into and maybe even actually tried to
> hook a standard PC power supply into an IPC or similar. I have a spare IPC
> board and case, I am lacking the power supply and floppy and thought this
> might be an amusing project.

Yes, it works fine.

> Anyone have the pinouts to the IPC power supply? I could go get my
> volmeter and figure them out, but if you have them handy it would save me
> the work.

Here you go, here's part of a file I typed up a while ago:

In the interest of helping people out who want to get these running,
here's a list of the pinouts on the board.  No warranty expressed or
implied, if you toast your board it's your own fault.  I place this into
the public domain if anyone wants to copy or redistribute it (a good place
might be an extended Sun h/w reference).

The power connector is the same type as the SS1/1+/2.  If you don't have
a powersupply for one of them to hack the connector off of, Digi-Key has
the connectors for $0.84/ea in individual quantities.  It's the
"Mini-Fit, Jr. Series 12 pin Receptacle Housing".

Pinouts (these are the pinouts looking into the motherboard connector,
_not_ the powersupply connector!):

J1401:  Motherboard power connector.  Note that this is the view of the
        connector on the motherboard from above.  Diagram:

                 _____
 _______________|     |_______________
|  ___   ___   ___   ___   ___   ___  |
| |12 | |11 | |10 | | 9 | | 8 | | 7 | |
| |___|  \_/   \_/  |___| |___|  \_/  |
|  ___   ___   ___   ___   ___   ___  |
| | 6 | | 5 | | 4 | | 3 | | 2 | | 1 | |
|  \_/  |___| |___|  \_/   \_/  |___| |
|_____________________________________|

Pins:
   1: +5  (red)
   2: +5  (red)
   3: GND (black)
   4: GND (black)
   5: +12 (blue)
   6: POR (gray)  Power good signal
   7: +5  (red)
   8: +5  (red)
   9: GND (black)
  10: GND (black)
  11: +12 (blue)
  12: -12 (brown)

Colors may vary with application, these are typical.

-James