[SunRescue] IPX RAM

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Jun 14 16:47:43 CDT 1999

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Chris Conn wrote:

> Again referring to RAM for my 4x72 pin slot IPX, I have an unknown 16Mb
> SIMM.  I have access to 3 16Mb 4x36 simms.  Is there any danger since
> one might be different or should they all work together ok?

If you've got no idea what kind of memory it is, then try the unknown SIMM
all by itself for a while.  Running SunVTS overnight probably qualifies as
pretty decent burn-in, and you will have a greater chance of spotting
problems than you would with known good memory in there at the same time.
If everything checks out then stuff the other SIMMs in there and enjoy
64mb.

Each SIMM is addressed independantly so you shouldn't have problems if
they don't match up as long as each is parity and 80ns or faster.

-James