[SunRescue] IPX

Mark Davies MarkUK at uunix.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 12:43:17 CDT 1999

In message <fc.000f738b0011688b3b9aca00ef325c1f.11689a at STEV.net>, Tim
Hauber <Tim_Hauber at STEV.net> writes
>rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Much to my surprise, I inherited a Sparc IPX today and attempted to see
>>if it works.  I have a Sun monitor, but no keyboard or mouse for this
>>machine.  I plugged in the screen and it stays black for a few moments,
>>then the screen flashes "no keyboard found, using serial A for input" or
>>something along those lines.  The HD spins up, and everything stays
>>black on the screen.  Could this be a DOA unit?  The drive was probably
>>formatted before it was trashed, but if my memory serves me correctly of
>>my SUN3 days, even if there is no keyboard the machine should still drop
>>me to the PROM.  Is it possible that this PROM is configured to use a
>>higher resolution than my monitor can support?
>
>If you have a terminal and/or another 'puter with terminal capabilities,
>the machine is probably talking in/out the serial port, and the output is
>fairly detailed if the machine sucessfully gets to the Prom.  Is the
>memory 72 pin? (I have seen a Sparc IPX with 30 Pin, or maybe it was a
>Xerox relabel.)
All IPX use 72 pins, IPC uses 30 pin.

You need a special cable (special in that it's a small din type plug at
one end)

Alternativly you could (if you have a transponder AUI --> BNC) just
attch it top a LAN and use a X-server program, this will allow you to
use your system as if you where using the screen. Most X-servers will
hunt out an IP address so you don't need to specify one. The oonly
downsid of this is, what OS you have on it and if it is booting all the
way. Solaris 2.6 starts XDM atomatically, Solaris 1.x does not. So you
would need to telnet into it and start XDM or export the display.

>Tim Hauber
>
>"Proximity to wonder has blunted our perception and appreciation of it"
>--Tim Hartnell in 'Exploring ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE on your Commodore 64'

Cheers..
Mark Davies    http://www.uunix.demon.co.uk

SunSPARC          Solaris 2.6 / Solaris 1.1.2
SunSPARC          Solaris 1.1.2
HP Netserver 133  Win98 (sorry....)
IBM AS/400        OS/400 V3R1M0
IBM PS/VP         OS/2 V3 Connect (AC/400)

(Also @ markuk.uunix at virgin.net)
Always looking for interesting equipment (unix stuff main)
Global positioning : UK, England, Worcestershire, Bromsgrove.
[C&G424-'C','C++'while( interest != doom);-)