[SunRescue] Sparc4 and Sparc5

Yoshiyuki Momma momma61 at cs.newpaltz.edu
Tue Jun 1 11:10:51 CDT 1999

hi,

sparc4 doesn't have afx connector, but one sbus slot and one sound card
slot, therefore s24 wouldnt work. there are minor differences in ss4 and
ss5's hw configuration, preventing moving disks from ss5 to ss4 or
vice-versa, altough both belong to sun4m with microSparc-II.

by the way, are you saying you have a framebuffer in ss4's sbus slot?
ss4 has onboard tcx fb on afx bus(w/o a connector)... :)

-yoshi

> > I would like to know if a framebuffer in a sparc4 can be used in a
> > sparc5?  I have yet to know what framebuffer exactly, however are there
> > any fundemental differences between these two architectures?
>
> the ss4 has a single sbus slot, the ss5 has three. both machines have an
> afx framebuffer connector. the ss4 is a cost (and feature) reduced version
> of the ss5.
>
> if the card is plugged into the sbus connector, it's presumably a tgx, and
> will definitely work in another sbus-based machine.
>
> the 8 bit tcx (afx bus) framebuffer found in the ss4 will work fine on the
> ss5. i'm not sure if the s24 tcx card from the ss5 will work on an ss4. i
> see no reason why it wouldn't.
>
> -j
>
> ---
> joshua grubman
> http://false.net
> http://sarcastic.net
> "note to self, no one cares, your voice is average"

      ,-~~-.___.             Yoshiyuki Momma
     (  )         0          Graduate Student in Computer Science
      \_/-, ,----'           Math & Computer Science Dept,
         ====           //   SUNY New Paltz
       /  __/~|   /       |  E-mail: momma61 at cs.newpaltz.edu
     =(  _____| (_________|  Web   : http://www.cs.newpaltz.edu/~momma61