[SunRescue] What should I look for?

Paolo Di Francesco paipai at tin.it
Thu Jun 3 17:14:43 CDT 1999

> There is no reason you would want to put an Adaptec SCSI card in an Ultra
> 5/10.  I repeat, there is no reason.

> Dual-channel Symbios UW cards are in the $75 range right now, and are
> fully supported by OBP including booting.  This chipset is used in the
> current Ultra line (U30/60/450 and others) as the native SCSI interface
> (driver name is glm).  Sun's dual-channel SCSI cards are just Symbios
> 53c875-based cards, they don't even change the name on the label.

I have seen the last version of OBP support the last Symbios chip (U2W).
Anyone has tried it? I want to buy a tekram but I need more info. 8)

> The onboard video (PGX24) in the U5/U10 can do _1152x900_ in 24-bit.
> Again, if you need higher resolution in 24-bit, you can go to a commodity
> card:  8mb ATI Rage cards work just fine at higher resolutions and are
> automatically supported by OBP for booting and everything else.

In the same document (about OBP .8) there is the "Rage Pro support". Can
someone tell me which ATI card with the Rage Pro have you tried with AXi?

I cannot buy an "old" ATI card (Rage IIc). Noone sells it anymore. Now
everyone has the TNT2 based card, or VoodooIII card, but no old ATI
cards.

I have this problem... Can someone help me?

[If you have an old ATI 4MB rageIIc PCI, I can change it with an AGP
version.]

> Personally, I'm more miffed at Sun for not providing a decent 48bpp
> framebuffer with half-decent texturing on the high-end.  A several year
> old Indigo2/IMPACT (costing less than just a Sun Elite3d m6 card) does
> this quite well.  The fact that any modern 3D framebuffer is coming in
> only a 24bpp version (and therefore will have mach banding) is a crying
> shame.

Yes, but they cost and people does not want to pay for it... 8(

> For the code I'm working on now, even the low-end U5 outperforms a 500MHz
> P-III by over 40%.  Therefore, it's ideal for my application.  IMHO they
> make great desktop machines, but unless you get terrific deals (like the
> current academic promos) the AXi makes a better server.

Good news for me! But are you using commercial compilers? Have you using
gcc? I have an AXi but I don't know how much fast is compared to the
intel world. Any performance test?

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _