[SunRescue] PTI SCSI differential controller

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Jun 3 09:52:29 CDT 1999

Jerome Feuillade wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> We're a planning to buy a sbus scsi differential controller for a
> backup solution running on our 'old' SS10 or SS20. I've found a
> product from Performance technologies, Inc, the PT-SBS440A. It is
> a fast wide scsi sbus controller.
>
> Do you have some experience with the diffential one ?
>
> Do you know any problem using it in a SS10 or SS20 ?
>
> Do you have experience using it with DLT7000 ?

We are running a SPARCserver 690-140 with a PT-SBS430A, (that's the
narrow-SCSI model) together with those "standard" SCSI (differential)
trays that came with that model. It's working great, even the drivers
for Solaris turned out to work right off the shelf.
One thing though; you can't boot from this controller, but I suppose
this isn't a problem if you're just running a DLT-drive on it. It has
also been in a SS10, with same success.

When I think of it, isn't there a jumper or some kind of strapping on
your DLT-drive to "convert" it to standard single-ended SCSI? That
should really put you in a cheaper position, since single-ended
controllers are easy to buy these days.
Ofcourse the DLT7000 is a Wide-SCSI drive, so you need a Wide-controller
together with that. (High-performing tapedrive) You could run it on a
narrow-SCSI controller, but I fear you might loose some performance that
way.
(someone please fill in?)