[SunRescue] Old Skool Sparc 2 with SunOS 4.1.1

Stou Sandalski tangui at cell2000.net
Thu Dec 30 04:48:44 CST 1999

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BF5270.6369DC00

Hi, I recently bought this old Sparc 2 that seems to be running SunOS =
4.1.1, I got it from a guy that got it from UC SB when they were =
updating they systems they sold it... when I turn it on... it starts a =
long boot sequence that get stuck looking for the ethernet adaptor... (I =
think), it just keeps saying:

"le0: No carrier - transceiver cable problem?"

over and over again... since neither I nor my friend have used this type =
of equipment before (coming from the x86 Linux world) we tried to make =
it quit by pressing Ctrl+C, + Z, + B and a bunch of other =
combinations... nothing at all worked... finaly frustrated I taped the =
keyboard a few times... and something came up asking me if I wanted to =
continue, boot, or new mode command in the new mode command there is a =
lot of options about different settings of the system... I think this is =
like the CMOS equivelent or something.. very bizzare... we looked around =
with the help command but didn't see anything that can help... so I =
reboot it and before it started checking the file systems I pressed =
Control C and it gave me a prompt... I checked the file systems (As the =
big warning said) with fsck and after that I tried ls and it seemed to =
be a shell... but the file system was read online... when I typed =
/etc/rc.single it strated with the le0 not found msg again... so I tried =
to write to the disk it worked... I guess rc.single mounted it r/w so =
now I am stuck... I don't know what to do... its totaly weird... can =
someone help me figure out how to disable the check for the le0 thing... =
and can someone please tell me where I can buy one of those transceiver =
cables for it so I can hook it up to my LAN? Another thing that strikes =
me as weird... is that the damn thing prints out text on the terminal =
way way way tooo slow... I mean I know this is an old machine but it =
can't be this slow... there's something wrong with the terminal settings =
(?)... also what kind of OS can I put on it since I heard this Sun OS is =
kind of wack?

I searched Sun, newsgroups, this mailing list archives... and a bunch of =
other places... even sunhelp.org didn't have anything on it... as far as =
I saw that is... can someone please tell help me out with this setup?

Thanks=20

Stou

P.S.
also my friend ran something on it I didn't see what it was... but it =
started to boot a gui... and then said "Graphics processor timed out" I =
wonder if that's the cause for the trouble... I don't know though... Oh =
and do I need a special mouse pad for this optical mouse?

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BF5270.6369DC00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi, I recently bought this old Sparc 2 =
that seems=20
to be running SunOS 4.1.1, I got it from a guy that got it from UC SB =
when they=20
were updating they systems they sold it... when I turn it on... it =
starts a long=20
boot sequence that get stuck looking for the ethernet adaptor... (I =
think), it=20
just keeps saying:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"le0: No carrier - transceiver cable=20
problem?"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>over and over again... since neither I =
nor my=20
friend have used this type of equipment before (coming from the x86 =
Linux world)=20
we tried to make it quit by pressing Ctrl+C, + Z, + B and a bunch of =
other=20
combinations... nothing at all worked... finaly frustrated I taped the =
keyboard=20
a few times... and something came up asking me if I wanted to continue, =
boot, or=20
new mode command in the new mode command there is a lot of options about =

different settings of the system... I think this is like the CMOS =
equivelent or=20
something.. very bizzare... we looked around with the help command but =
didn't=20
see anything that can help... so I reboot it and before it started =
checking the=20
file systems I pressed Control C and it gave me a prompt... I checked =
the file=20
systems (As the big warning said) with fsck and after that I tried ls =
and it=20
seemed to be a shell... but the file system was read online... when I =
typed=20
/etc/rc.single it strated with the le0 not found msg again... so I tried =
to=20
write to the disk it worked... I guess rc.single mounted it r/w so now I =
am=20
stuck... I don't know what to do... its totaly weird... can someone help =
me=20
figure out how to disable the check for the le0 thing... and can someone =
please=20
tell me where I can buy one of those transceiver cables for it so I can =
hook it=20
up to my LAN? Another thing that strikes me as weird... is that the damn =
thing=20
prints out text on the terminal way way way tooo slow... I mean I know =
this is=20
an old machine but it can't be this slow... there's something wrong with =
the=20
terminal settings (?)... also what kind of OS can I put on it since I =
heard this=20
Sun OS is kind of wack?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I searched Sun, newsgroups, this =
mailing list=20
archives... and a bunch of other places... even sunhelp.org didn't have =
anything=20
on it... as far as I saw that is... can someone please tell help me out =
with=20
this setup?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Stou</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>P.S.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>also my friend ran something on it I =
didn't see=20
what it was... but it started to boot a gui... and then said "Graphics =
processor=20
timed out" I wonder if that's the cause for the trouble... I don't know=20
though... Oh and do I need a special mouse pad for this optical=20
mouse?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BF5270.6369DC00--