[SunRescue] Sparc 10 cover plates

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Dec 20 09:21:40 CST 1999

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, bobk wrote:

> I'd suggest using an FTP server other than the one that comes with the
> operating system. NCFTPD is very good. It is very fast, secure, handles
> large loads well, and is free for personal use. You have to pay ($50 I
> think) for a commercial license, but if you are using this for business
> that should not be a problem.

Just wanted to weigh in on this one.  NCFTPd is EXCELLENT.  It uses the
preforking model that web servers have used for some time, so provides
excellent speed.  Installation is fairly painless.  It supports these
"virtual" users that aren't real users (aka not in the /etc/passwd file).

And the cost is great.  It will only support 3 simultaneous users
for personal use, but anyone the server recognizes as non-profit
(mainly .edu users) get unlimited users for free.  I think the
300 simultaneous users license is like only $100.  I've had it
in production environments for a year now, and never had a problem.

The only argument I find I could make against it is it's not open source...
But for me, that doesn't override it's incredible usefulness.

--Kurt