[SunRescue] Sparc 10 cover plates

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at double-barrel.be
Mon Dec 20 05:09:36 CST 1999

> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Michael C. Vergallen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Dous anyone have 2 cover plates for the sbus slots on the Sparc 10.
>
> I might have some, let me see what i can dig up.
Thanks ..

> > I also have a question regarding the sun sparc 10...namely would it be
> > powerfull enough for a ftp server.
>
> I'd suggest using an FTP server other than the one that comes with the
> operating system. NCFTPD is very good. It is very fast, secure, handles
> large loads well, and is free for personal use. You have to pay ($50 I
> think) for a commercial license, but if you are using this for business
> that should not be a problem.
I allready have the ncftpd licence...

> > The one I have now is a PC and it is
> > getting totaly fucked up.
>
> What PC, what OS? I supported an ISP on a Pentium-90 running for 4.5
> years.
It's an old Pentium 150Mhz (It's an old box 4 -5 years) and the cache has
gone south. the problem would be not so big if I could simply replace the
board and keep the memory of box and cpu...however the problem lays in the
fact that the board I have is no longer manufactured and it would cost me
at least  1000 USD to replace the mainboard + Memory + CPU and the cards.
> > > So I want to use my sun 10 uniprocessor that has
> > become available.. Its a SM30 cpu with 128MB Ram to me it seems sufficient
> > for a ftp server but I would like to make shure.
>
> Get a better CPU. I'd suggest at least an SM50 or SM51. In the US, these
> cost about $100 used. For $200 you can get an SM71. (www.gstek.com)
I will do this as soon as I have some more money.