[SunRescue] Speaking of SGI equipment...

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Dec 16 13:23:27 CST 1999

<rant>
Now this isn't exactly a fair comparison.  You're comparing a 64-bit 250-MHz
processor to a 32-bit 85-MHz processor.  I'm not too familiar with sound,
since I find that it's totally pointless for any "real" work.  I've never
seen all that big a difference in SCSI of about the same age, unless it's
just a cheap host adaptor and using the main CPU to do all of the work.
Graphics have got to be better on ANYTHING other than a Sun, the graphics
that I've used aren't that impressive.  Speaking of which, is the CG14 in
24-bit color actually slower than the cg6 when in 8-bit?  This 8-bit color
is awful for almost every web site that I visit often.  :(

>   I'm also running a ChallengeDM (4x R4400/250) and an Indy
> (R4400/150) here.
> Great hardware.
>
>   Irix takes a bit of getting used to if you're a BSD
> person...but it's quite
> nice when you get used to it, and it's very, very fast.

Shoot, I can't even remember what the flavors are yet.
	Greg