[SunRescue] a sad, sad day

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 19:01:39 CST 1999

On Wednesday, December 15, 1999 11:17 AM, ward at zilla.nu wrote:
> Some places, like the University of Mississippi, have strange
depreciation
> tables, or rather, a lack thereof.
>
> An 8086 that cost $5k in 1986 is worth $5k today.  However, if you
upgraded with
> a $500 386 board, it is now worth $5500.  You can slate it for auction if
you
> want, but that's troublesome red tape, so folks just hand 'em over to
property
> control for storage, who then clean it out later with no concept of the
value
> of the equipment.  They just know that these old 8086s are worthless, so
most of
> the eqipment they touch is classified as "worthless obsolete junk."  The
UofM
> auctions are often fun, as you can find old Vax eq and pentiums at times,
but
> the folks I know mostly go fo rcars and furniture.
>
> It may even be a State of MS thing, rather than a Univ thing.

Nah, must be a University thing.  They all seem to do it.

Here, Ohio State U. has a "surplus department" whose specialty seems to be
losing computer parts.  They don't know that a, say, DEC 3100 keyboard
isn't the same as a PC keyboard (or a Mac keyboard) so when the DEC
workstation hits the department, they toss the keyboard in the keyboard
box, put the monitor on the monitor shelf, and put the base unit on the
computer shelf.

When they get too many of something, they just take 'em all to the
landfill.

The result is that you can find an HP X-terminal base, but not the special
keyboard or monitor for it .... or a Sun type 3 mouse, but no Sun
computers.

Ghod only knows what sort of obscure bookkeeping nonsense they go through
with this stuff.

-Shel