[SunRescue] a sad, sad day

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Dec 15 10:19:57 CST 1999

It's called Students Recycling Used Technology (StRUT).  I worked with them
two years ago, and all of the good stuff they got ended up in a warehouse,
where students (like me) couldn't get at it to play with.  We managed to get
1 PPro 200 out of it, a case and a floppy drive.  Nothing else was usable at
the time, because I hadn't had time to find an OS that would run on low end
486s (Win95 just wasn't going to cut it).

I don't see it as needing to be a real organization with all of the
bureaucracy and whatnot.  Let's do it in the style of the Open Source (I
think that's what they want to be called, can't keep up) projects that I've
seen and been in.  There are a few people in some of the BIG projects that
are getting paid, but most of the people just contribute a little bit of
work, and whatever resources they have available (and a LOT of that ends up
being talk).
	Greg