[SunRescue] NetBSD 1.4 miniroot problem fixed

james james at foonly.com
Wed Dec 8 12:43:47 CST 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, BSD Bob wrote:

> There has gotta be some way to optimize these old crates.

Actually, I found that adding a SCSI signal amplifier/regenerator right
after the box makes a major difference.  Instantly, no more problems.  The
nicer units not only bring signal levels back up to spec but also change
them to have the specified rise times and duration.

The other big problems are that the Sun cables are far too long, and
despite a good outward appearance they may be out of spec after a number
of years of abuse.  Redo everything with short, quality cabling and an
active terminator and you will save yourself many headaches.

I think I have a few ParaLAN SCSI regenerators floating around, I'll see
if I can dig them up.  They really do help.

-James