[SunRescue] Old Skool Sparc 2 with SunOS 4.1.1

paul pries paul.pries at sonera.com
Thu Dec 30 06:01:40 CST 1999

OK, if I recall everything correctly, just
plugging in an
ordinary tranceiver in the back of the ss2 would
do the trick.

To enter the eeprom, follow these steps:
- turn on the power

- when the boot starts, press the "stop" and "a"
keys (L1 a).

- at the ">" prompt, type "n" for new command
mode.
  ( if the prompt anything else than ">" you
probably are in
  the new mode already)

- type "printenv". This will show some variables
with their settings.
  locate the one that is named something like
"carrier test" (I'm
  taking this from memory and don't know the exact
variable name...)

- type "setenv <variable name> off"

- type reboot to reboot the box.

Done. :)