[SunRescue] Re: Speaking of SGI equipment...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 16 18:28:52 CST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>>   They're of similar generations.  Processor clock speed is
>> not a measure of
>> system performance.
>
>True enough, but since there isn't a nice SGI hardware reference that I've
>seen, I can't check dates on these.  Besides, Mr. Bill compared a 200 MHz
>SGI box with an Ultra 170E, which is probably a bit faster than an SS20 with
>a single SM81.

  Agreed.

>>   To go any faster with a Sun I'd have to go to an Ultra or
>> something, and be
>> stuck in Solaris hell.
>
>'scuse me?  :)  What do you run on your SS20 now?  I know for sure that

  Huh?  Oh, sorry...I run NetBSD on all my sparc hardware.  They've got it
running on ultras now but it's still pretty new.  I have a personal dislike for
solaris.  That dislike is on the wane now though; they seem to be addressing my
major complaints about it with the more recent releases.

>Linux runs on Ultras, but I don't know anything about the video support
>there.

  I'd be willing to give that a shot...

                             -Dave mcGuire