[SunRescue] Stock drives in the SS20?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Dec 14 04:14:52 CST 1999

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 01:26:14AM -0800, James Lockwood wrote:
> Speaking of vents, why does every SGI Indy seem to blow a powersupply
> after a couple years?  I must have replaced over 2 dozen of them over the
> years.
> -James

Get the Sony supplies instead of the crappy Nidec/Power General ones; they're
much more reliable.  Use a UPS too, of course.

(I replaced SGI power supplies every 6 months or so on the average at my
last job.. you think the Indy power supplies are bad, try finding one for
an Indigo2 in a hurry... $500ish from SGI.  Also, SGI wants $350ish for a
new Indy power supply - that's enough to buy an entire INDY on the used
market and have plenty of spare parts... okay, I'll stop ranting now..)

Biggest SGI power supply I had to replace was out of an Origin 2000.
Weighed about 50 lbs. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford   *   mrbill at mrbill.net    /   http://www.mrbill.net